Gifted Program Coordinator
The New Horizons Program in Rapides Parish is primarily divided into two components: enrichment and academic. Both are child-centered where the teacher acts as a facilitator.
- The major impetus of the enrichment system is based on the development of cognitive and affective skills.
- These skills are introduced and reinforced through strategies appropriate for gifted students and differentiated teaching methods.
- Children in pre-school, kindergarten, first, second, and third grade participate in an enrichment program.
- The thrust of the academic program is acceleration through differentiated teaching techniques and curriculum compacting.
- Both vertical and horizontal enrichment activities are included in the academic element.
- Students in grades four through twelve are involved in an academic program.